Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Telephone Table- chatting bench – complete


I knew the final destination for this table-bench was my bedroom. So I wanted it finished the same as my bedroom furnature. I also wanted it to be special and I wanted it to transition to another room latter should I decide to move it. There was little about this piece that was special or pretty before. I had been looking for one for a while and am SO happy to have found one.








I had to do a little structural work to strengthen the legs and the tray. While doing that I had to remove the tray bottom completely. Since it was off I got the idea to paint it with a retro pop of color. I went with avocado green. I was able to salvage all the original screws and nails and use them in their original locations. But I did have to use 1 screw that was not original and I had to glue a few spots. I distressed it after I painted it and I hated it. It took longer to fix that than the original paint job did. I did want a tiny bit of distressing but wanted it only for texture and interest. So I filled in the light distressing lines with a stain pen and then rubbed black paint over it and wiped it off. I spray varnished two times.






I upholstered the seat with a Jennifer Lopez pillow fabric from Kohl’s.





29 comments:

  1. I love this!!! I can picture you sitting in it, in a long evening gown, on the phone, saying "Daaahhhhhling" :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thats what I am doing now daaahhhling

      Delete
  2. This looks fantastic! Love the fabric choice. I saw a similar bench this week at my thrift store (in super rough shape, and waaay overpriced). Now that i have seen yours, I wish I had a)a bigger house and b) more money!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I meant cute.. CUTE.. I obviously can't type :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh that looks great! I love the fabric... and I love your phone, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks. I adore the phone. I mention it out loud almost everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great phone seat, nice job! I also did one in aqua, they are so cute, love the phone too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great refinish! I love the fabric you picked! Perfect! Thanks for linking it up! xoxo- Rachel I am pinning this now!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very chic. I love the old phone!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very nice, the pop of color is a nice little surprise, and your fabric is perfect for the bench!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I was going for making it look like it was new...and IN the original time period.

      Delete
  10. I am in line with your telephone table/bench. we are featuring this today. thanks for linking up!

    have a lovely weekend!

    Hugs,
    Lelanie

    to-sew-with-love.com
    tocookwithlove.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the project! I've been keeping an eye out for a phone bench of my own, just haven't found one yet :(

    I would love it if you would link up at Watch Out, Martha!’s first link up party: Martha Mondays on May 7th! Hope to see you there! (www.watchoutmartha.net )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. keep looking and have fun making it over.

      Delete
  12. I love it! Thank you for sharing. My friend has the exact same table and she even has an old phone sitting on it! I'm going to share this with her, as well as my FB page! :)

    Anna
    www.askannamoseley.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. great minds...i want to see hers! send me a link.

      Delete

http://shabbyblogs.com/storage/old/ShabbyBlogsComments.jpg