What I thought was a desk was actually a vanity. The center lifts up and inside there is a vanity compartment and a mirror. I had to repair the brackets sp0 it would stay open. It was very fragile. Its old the center is heavy and the legs are thin. It was falling apart. I have had to clamp, glue, and rig this bad boy. I was not going to give up. I got 4 more legs so that each side would be supported. I left the original hardware and painted over it. The orignal piece can be seen here. Its the photo titled desk 1914.
I painted the drawers inside with Ikea glazing paint (red) it’s more orange though and then brushed over with ASCP in arles while the varnish was still damp. I did the same inside the vanity part and then sprayed krylon dual off white (flat) lightly. I then blended colors and painted the inside over and over until I was happy with it. the back was ugly and I wanted to leave the option open to have it exposed.
I trimmed it out with pine lattice. I placed medallions on. I took drywall compound and created texture in a random way. I layered ASCP in old white arles and French linen with a few combos of the three. I washed over it with a watered down old white several time. When I sanded it orange and yellow and grey all peeked through. I did clear wax (ASCP wax) on the top only.