When we knew we were getting the new floors I knew I needed to do something about our bedroom furniture. We have had the set since 1998. I refused to get new stuff so I decided to refinish the entire set. Good thing I ended up being good at this. For shots of the actual painting click this link.
I sanded it down a bit. I cleaned and tried it well before I started painting. I free handed the entire job and touched up as I felt it needed. I use short craft brushes so that the paint would be able to be applied with texture.
I use short craft brushes so that the paint would be able to be applied with texture. I used Valspar enamel. I used Flat black. It’s NOT sold in the paint isle! It’s sold in the spray paint section of Lowes. It’s a tiny little can. It’s amazing stuff! I did the entire job with less than 1 can. I followed with rub on poly.
My goal was to have the room feel like a hotel suite. Minimal, clean and elegant. I went with black, but I let a little wood poke through.
My inspiration was a piece I already had. I had it in another place in the house.
I had my husband bring it up and planned to use it as a TV cabinet. I used it as my model.
I didn't want to spend too much on rugs for the en suite bath, bedroom or on bedding & accents. I opened a Kohl's card and planned out my purchases and special offers so I got all my rugs (including 5 in other spaces in the house) all my bedding and towels for just over $600. the before discount price on everything was over $1850.
- two large shams-I moved a set of toss pillows from the living room to the bedroom because they just seemed meant for the bed.
- two quilts
- two full sheet sets -so I could put the fitted sheets on the box springs to eliminate the bed skirt, and so that I would have 4 pillow cases. I use one of the flat sheet as my master bedroom tree skirt, I wrap it around the base. We use our white sheets to sleep on still.
- 20 new pretty textures white towels
- large rug for under bed
- large rug for living room, smaller one to the side
- three entry rugs for front door, back door and garage door
- 5 bathroom rugs for master and half bath uses
- a closet rug
I organized the entire closet and placed a chair in there. I put a giant Ikea mirror at the one end so that dressing would be easy to see and correct if necessary.